March 31, 2011

Whole lot'a painting going on ...! in many areas of the boat

I've started painting many areas of the boat. First I'll show the paint product I'm using, recommended by one of the other live-aboards at the Ortega Yacht Club Marina. It's called Perma-White by Zinsser and it can be tinted, so I had it tinted "winter white" so it wouldn't be too glaring. I'm not sure if it comes in gloss but the salesperson at the hardware store told me that satin would be more durable (and I really wouldn't have wanted gloss anyway). It's considered a two-coat self-priming paint, meaning that it covers problem areas very well. It's quite thick, but that's understandable, and the amount needed to coat a surface varies depending on how smooth or finished (or unfinished) the surface is. Here's a photo of the paint product:



I'll add some before-and-after photos below of some of the areas where I'm using it. First, the forward-facing wall adjacent to the door entry to the head, "before" photo:


And here are two "before" photos of the forward-facing wall adjacent to the doorway into the main berth, the part of it next to the berth itself (you can even see "doodles" on there, I like to think these doodles were placed by the Performance Cruising personnel during construction ... who knows, maybe Tony Smith himself penciled some of these in!):

Here's how that area looked after the painting. I backed up a bit to get the whole area into the photo:


Here's an "after" photo of the wall adjacent to the door entry to the main berth (along the outer starboard hull):



Here's where I painted the little cubbyhole area on the starboard side, just inside the step into the main cabin from the cabin doorway. This cubbyhole is about the height of the window, and the area above the wood ledge had become badly stained over the years. This paint did a great job:


No comments:

Post a Comment